Plantain and Cheeze Vegan Omelet
Hi and welcome back to Ria Lives Well!
I look at recipes like this and wonder: “Why did I ever think it’d be hard to be vegan?”
Of course there are moments when I wallow over the fact that I won’t eat cheese or eggs again…but I think about the ethical reasons behind my decision, and all the animals I’m working to protect, and poof! The moment ceases to exist.
And then I see a recipe like this; one that’s 100% healthy, 100% unique, 100% delicious and is also cruelty free; and the moment becomes a joke.
This vegan plantain and omelet with tofu cheese will help you forget all about omelets made from…what’s that thing that comes from chickens? Oh yeah: eggs.
Inspired by: Vegan.com
- 3 small plantains or green bananas
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- Boil a pot of water, then add your peeled plantain. Boil until plantain feels soft enough to mash with a fork.
- In a bowl, mash away with a potato masher. Add a teaspoon of oil and flour. Mix until your dough forms.
- In a medium hot skillet, add oil.
- Break off small pieces of your “omelette dough” and flatten with the palm of your hand. Heat for 3-5 minutes, or until one side is golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.
Vegan Tofu Ricotta Cheese:
- 7 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 basil leaves
- a few dashes of dried thyme and oregano
- teaspoon lemon juice
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- dash of black pepper
- Drain liquid from tofu. Crumble with a fork. Add your ingredients. Mash until you reach your desired “ricotta” texture.
This tastes and looks nothing like ricotta cheese. But it’s delicious and vegan, so I don’t really care.
Stupidly Simple Pico de gallo:
- 1 large tomato
- 2 tablespoons white onion, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your vegetables. Place in a large bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix a little more.
I cannot even explain how quickly I devoured this plantain omelet. When my kitchen filled with the intoxicating aroma of onion and boiled plantain, I knew this would be a winner.
Hope you enjoyed this vegan breakfast as much as I did!