Hi and welcome back to Ria Lives Well!
I’m on a banana kick, y’all.
Dunno why. But every time I see a bunch of bananas at the grocery store, I buy the brownest bunch with aspirations of making all kinds of goodies: banana smoothies, banana pancakes, banana bread, banana soft serve. And today, fried banana rounds served with vegan coconut ice cream.
Fried Banana Rounds:
Inspired by Sexy Vegan Mama
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup oats, processed + 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bananas, smashed (or pureed)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (duh; VE rocks)
- Oil for frying
- Use a potato masher and go to work on those bananas. Alternatively, you can process them.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cloves and baking powder. Add banana. Maple syrup. Peanut butter. Vanilla extract. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Process 1/4 cup oatmeal and 1 tbs flax seed. It should resemble flour.
- Set oil on medium heat-I used roughly 1 inch of oil. Let it heat and then insert a wooden spoon. If oil immediately bubbles around spoon, green light, it’s ready.
- Mold a whopping tablespoon of banana between your palms. Roll them in your ground oatmeal & flax mix. Using a slotted spoon & carefully place banana rounds into the oil.
- Fry for 1 minute on each side, or until it turns brown and crispy–often less than 1 min.
- Place on paper towel to drain.
- Enjoy with ice cream (and don’t forget, these babies are best served warm).
Winnie the Pooh bowl! Bahahaha! Why do I still find this endearing? Oh, well. I can’t be mad at the kid in me. She’s fun and free spirited and full of surprises, unlike the 23 year old version I display to society. She can get pa-retty boring at times.
Oh boy. The one that got away…It just didn’t…I couldn’t make it…the damn thing wouldn’t…Agh!
Enjoy a bite soaked in vegan ice cream. It’s most enjoyable this way. Trust me.
On their own, these fried banana rounds are tasty but not too sweet. A perfect companion for coconut vegan ice cream. I urge you to try the one I recently made. It has a hint of vanilla that I personally find addictive.
Don’t forget to save your banana peels. Stick ’em in the freezer. I have another post to come that needs those peels. What? I said I was on a banana kick.